From EatingWell: August/September 2006
This tart, refreshing sorbet makes an elegant end to a summer meal. Always smell peaches before you buy them to make sure they're sweet and ready to eat.
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1 pound fresh peaches or nectarines, halved and pitted
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lime zest
- 6 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Stir water, sugar and corn syrup in a large saucepan over medium heat until the sugar dissolves. Add peaches (or nectarines); bring to a simmer. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Pour the fruit-syrup mixture into a blender. Add lime zest, juice and salt; blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and refrigerate until cold, 4 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the sorbet mixture in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer's directions. (Alternatively, pour the mixture into ice cube trays and freeze until solid, about 4 hours. Unmold cubes, place half in a food processor fitted with the chopping blade, and process, scraping the sides as necessary, until fairly smooth but still icy. Repeat with the remaining cubes.)
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Freeze in a resealable plastic container for up to 1 week.
Per serving: 109 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 29 g carbohydrates; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 77 mg sodium; 115 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 other carbohydrates
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- 8 or more
- August/September 2006