Peach-Blackberry Compote with Basil Syrup
Fresh basil, which has a special affinity with peaches, is the secret ingredient in this sophisticated compote. The basil garnish gives guests a clue to the subtle flavor in the syrup.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 2-1/2-inch strips orange zest
- 3 cups sliced peeled peaches, (3-4 medium) (see Tip)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine sugar and wine in small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Add 3 basil sprigs and orange zest; stir to immerse. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a small bowl, pressing on basil and zest to release maximum flavor.
- Shortly before serving, combine peaches, blackberries, lemon juice and basil-infused syrup in a serving bowl; toss gently to coat. Serve garnished with basil sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel peaches, dip in boiling water for 30 or 40 seconds to loosen their skins. Let cool slightly, then slip off skins with a paring knife.
Per serving: 129 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 22 mg vitamin c (35% dv), 337 mg potassium (17% dv), 17% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)