Peach-Blackberry Compote with Basil Syrup
Fresh basil, which has a special affinity with peaches, is the secret ingredient in this sophisticated compote. The basil garnish gives guests a clue to the subtle flavor in the syrup.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 2-1/2-inch strips orange zest
- 3 cups sliced peeled peaches, (3-4 medium) (see Tip)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine sugar and wine in small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Add 3 basil sprigs and orange zest; stir to immerse. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a small bowl, pressing on basil and zest to release maximum flavor.
- Shortly before serving, combine peaches, blackberries, lemon juice and basil-infused syrup in a serving bowl; toss gently to coat. Serve garnished with basil sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel peaches, dip in boiling water for 30 or 40 seconds to loosen their skins. Let cool slightly, then slip off skins with a paring knife.
Per serving: 129 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 22 mg vitamin c (35% dv), 337 mg potassium (17% dv), 17% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less