Peach-Blackberry Compote with Basil Syrup
Fresh basil, which has a special affinity with peaches, is the secret ingredient in this sophisticated compote. The basil garnish gives guests a clue to the subtle flavor in the syrup.
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons dry white wine
- 3 sprigs fresh basil, plus more for garnish
- 2 2-1/2-inch strips orange zest
- 3 cups sliced peeled peaches, (3-4 medium) (see Tip)
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Combine sugar and wine in small saucepan; bring to a simmer. Remove from heat. Add 3 basil sprigs and orange zest; stir to immerse. Cover and let steep for 30 minutes.
- Strain syrup into a small bowl, pressing on basil and zest to release maximum flavor.
- Shortly before serving, combine peaches, blackberries, lemon juice and basil-infused syrup in a serving bowl; toss gently to coat. Serve garnished with basil sprigs.
Tips & Notes
- Tip: To peel peaches, dip in boiling water for 30 or 40 seconds to loosen their skins. Let cool slightly, then slip off skins with a paring knife.
Per serving: 129 calories; 0 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 30 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 4 g fiber; 1 mg sodium; 337 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: 22 mg vitamin c (35% dv), 337 mg potassium (17% dv), 17% dv fiber.
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 fruit
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Type of Dish
- Desserts, fruit
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less