A simple pea soup makes an elegant start to a spring meal. It’s also a great way to use frozen vegetables when the produce section is looking bleak.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or parsley
- 6 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, “no-chicken” broth (see Note) or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Stir in peas. Add water and broth; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 minute.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Stir in half-and-half (if using), salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Chicken-flavored broth, a vegetarian broth despite its name, is preferable to vegetable broth in some recipes for its hearty, rich flavor. Sometimes called “no-chicken” broth, it can be found with the soups in the natural-foods section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 131 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 431 mg sodium; 419 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Folate & Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less