A simple pea soup makes an elegant start to a spring meal. It’s also a great way to use frozen vegetables when the produce section is looking bleak.
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme or parsley
- 6 cups peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/2 cup water
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, “no-chicken” broth (see Note) or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup half-and-half (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Heat butter and oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat until the butter melts. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Add garlic and thyme (or parsley); cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 10 seconds.
- Stir in peas. Add water and broth; bring to a lively simmer over high heat. Reduce heat to maintain a lively simmer and cook until very tender, about 1 minute.
- Puree the soup in batches in a blender until smooth. (Use caution when pureeing hot liquids.) Stir in half-and-half (if using), salt and pepper.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Cover and refrigerate for up to 4 days or freeze for up to 3 months.
- Note: Chicken-flavored broth, a vegetarian broth despite its name, is preferable to vegetable broth in some recipes for its hearty, rich flavor. Sometimes called “no-chicken” broth, it can be found with the soups in the natural-foods section of most supermarkets.
Per serving: 131 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 7 g protein; 6 g fiber; 431 mg sodium; 419 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (28% daily value), Folate & Vitamin A (18% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more