Snap Pea & Quinoa Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Snap peas and mushrooms are combined with the fresh flavor of lemon in this pretty, healthy quinoa salad recipe. If you can make it ahead of time, doâ€”this quinoa salad is even better the next day, after the dressing has soaked into the mushrooms and quinoa. (Adapted from â€śQuinoa Revolutionâ€ť by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming; Pintail Books, 2012.)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups fresh snap peas, trimmed and cut diagonally into thirds
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, cut into quarters or eighths if large
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine peas, mushrooms, onion and dill in a medium bowl. Whisk vinegar, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and maple syrup in a small bowl. Stir the dressing into the cooled quinoa until evenly dispersed. Add the quinoa to the vegetable mixture, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare quinoa (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Cover and refrigerate the prepared salad for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 223 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy sandwich recipes, salad recipes and dip recipes...
If youâ€™re trying to slim down, try adding foods to your diet...
Thereâ€™s no â€śmagic bulletâ€ť for preventing high blood pressure...
Enjoy the worldâ€™s healthiest diet with these delicious...
If youâ€™re feeling blueâ€”or want to ward off feeling that wayâ€”...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
When youâ€™re trying to slim down, a high-fiber, low-calorie...
Research shows that a compound in chiles, called capsaicin,...
You can still enjoy the delicious summertime flavor of...
Skip the frozen veggie burgers and make your own vegetarian...
Healthy pasta dishes are at the heart of Italian cuisine....
Low-fat cottage cheese is a healthy addition that adds...
Make a delicious Easter brunch or dinner this year with our...
Berries and other spring fruit star in our healthy Easter...
If youâ€™re entertaining this Easter or bringing a dish to...
Make your Passover meal light and healthful with some of our...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 2013