Snap Pea & Quinoa Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Snap peas and mushrooms are combined with the fresh flavor of lemon in this pretty, healthy quinoa salad recipe. If you can make it ahead of time, doâ€”this quinoa salad is even better the next day, after the dressing has soaked into the mushrooms and quinoa. (Adapted from â€śQuinoa Revolutionâ€ť by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming; Pintail Books, 2012.)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups fresh snap peas, trimmed and cut diagonally into thirds
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, cut into quarters or eighths if large
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine peas, mushrooms, onion and dill in a medium bowl. Whisk vinegar, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and maple syrup in a small bowl. Stir the dressing into the cooled quinoa until evenly dispersed. Add the quinoa to the vegetable mixture, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare quinoa (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Cover and refrigerate the prepared salad for up to 1 day.
- Give grains a cooldown: To cool grains down quickly, spread them out on a foil-lined baking sheet. The surface area helps speed cooling, while the foil prevents any residual flavors on the pan from seeping in.
Per serving: 223 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If youâ€™re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
Thereâ€™s no better way to celebrate Motherâ€™s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- March/April 2013