Snap Pea & Quinoa Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Snap peas and mushrooms are combined with the fresh flavor of lemon in this pretty, healthy quinoa salad recipe. If you can make it ahead of time, doâ€”this quinoa salad is even better the next day, after the dressing has soaked into the mushrooms and quinoa. (Adapted from â€śQuinoa Revolutionâ€ť by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming; Pintail Books, 2012.)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups fresh snap peas, trimmed and cut diagonally into thirds
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, cut into quarters or eighths if large
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine peas, mushrooms, onion and dill in a medium bowl. Whisk vinegar, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and maple syrup in a small bowl. Stir the dressing into the cooled quinoa until evenly dispersed. Add the quinoa to the vegetable mixture, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare quinoa (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Cover and refrigerate the prepared salad for up to 1 day.
- Give grains a cooldown: To cool grains down quickly, spread them out on a foil-lined baking sheet. The surface area helps speed cooling, while the foil prevents any residual flavors on the pan from seeping in.
Per serving: 223 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, thereâ€™s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether youâ€™re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isnâ€™t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summerâ€™s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When itâ€™s chilly outside, thereâ€™s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- March/April 2013