Snap Pea & Quinoa Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Snap peas and mushrooms are combined with the fresh flavor of lemon in this pretty, healthy quinoa salad recipe. If you can make it ahead of time, doâ€”this quinoa salad is even better the next day, after the dressing has soaked into the mushrooms and quinoa. (Adapted from â€śQuinoa Revolutionâ€ť by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming; Pintail Books, 2012.)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups fresh snap peas, trimmed and cut diagonally into thirds
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, cut into quarters or eighths if large
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine peas, mushrooms, onion and dill in a medium bowl. Whisk vinegar, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and maple syrup in a small bowl. Stir the dressing into the cooled quinoa until evenly dispersed. Add the quinoa to the vegetable mixture, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare quinoa (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Cover and refrigerate the prepared salad for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 223 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If youâ€™re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the springâ€™s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken singâ€”punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- March/April 2013