Snap Pea & Quinoa Salad
From EatingWell: March/April 2013
Snap peas and mushrooms are combined with the fresh flavor of lemon in this pretty, healthy quinoa salad recipe. If you can make it ahead of time, doâ€”this quinoa salad is even better the next day, after the dressing has soaked into the mushrooms and quinoa. (Adapted from â€śQuinoa Revolutionâ€ť by Patricia Green and Carolyn Hemming; Pintail Books, 2012.)
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups fresh snap peas, trimmed and cut diagonally into thirds
- 1 1/2 cups button mushrooms, cut into quarters or eighths if large
- 1/3 cup thinly sliced red onion, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1/3 cup white balsamic vinegar or white-wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil or flaxseed oil
- 1 teaspoon freshly grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon pure maple syrup
- Combine water and quinoa in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork and set aside to cool completely.
- Combine peas, mushrooms, onion and dill in a medium bowl. Whisk vinegar, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and maple syrup in a small bowl. Stir the dressing into the cooled quinoa until evenly dispersed. Add the quinoa to the vegetable mixture, toss and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare quinoa (Step 1), cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. Cover and refrigerate the prepared salad for up to 1 day.
Per serving: 223 calories; 11 g fat (2 g sat, 8 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 1 g added sugars; 6 g protein; 3 g fiber; 10 mg sodium; 311 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (32% daily value), Folate & Magnesium (17% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Donâ€™t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If youâ€™re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If youâ€™re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, grain
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- March/April 2013