Pea & New Potato Salad (Nye kartofler og Ærte Salat)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Very fresh produce is the key to this easy side dish: walnut-size new potatoes, fresh peas, scallions and sweet, early-summer radishes. Danes insist on the freshest, newest potatoes possible (those from BjÃ¤re peninsula of SkÃ¥ne, in southern Sweden, are coveted with cultlike devotion). Look for them in farmers' markets in spring and early summer.
- 2 pounds new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and trimmed, halved if larger than walnuts
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 bunch scallions, white parts only, finely chopped
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas, (about 3 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas (thawed)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced small radishes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chervil and/or savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add peas and water; cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are just softened, about 3 minutes. Add radishes and butter; cook, stirring, until the radishes are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently stir in the steamed potatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Steam the potatoes up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per serving: 138 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 166 mg sodium; 686 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- May/June 2008