Pea & New Potato Salad (Nye kartofler og Ærte Salat)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Very fresh produce is the key to this easy side dish: walnut-size new potatoes, fresh peas, scallions and sweet, early-summer radishes. Danes insist on the freshest, newest potatoes possible (those from BjÃ¤re peninsula of SkÃ¥ne, in southern Sweden, are coveted with cultlike devotion). Look for them in farmers' markets in spring and early summer.
- 2 pounds new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and trimmed, halved if larger than walnuts
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 bunch scallions, white parts only, finely chopped
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas, (about 3 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas (thawed)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced small radishes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chervil and/or savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add peas and water; cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are just softened, about 3 minutes. Add radishes and butter; cook, stirring, until the radishes are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently stir in the steamed potatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Steam the potatoes up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per serving: 138 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 166 mg sodium; 686 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- May/June 2008