Pea & New Potato Salad (Nye kartofler og Ærte Salat)
From EatingWell: May/June 2008
Very fresh produce is the key to this easy side dish: walnut-size new potatoes, fresh peas, scallions and sweet, early-summer radishes. Danes insist on the freshest, newest potatoes possible (those from BjÃ¤re peninsula of SkÃ¥ne, in southern Sweden, are coveted with cultlike devotion). Look for them in farmers' markets in spring and early summer.
- 2 pounds new or baby potatoes, scrubbed and trimmed, halved if larger than walnuts
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1 bunch scallions, white parts only, finely chopped
- 2 cups shelled fresh peas, (about 3 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas (thawed)
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 cups thinly sliced small radishes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh herbs, such as parsley, chervil and/or savory
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Place a steamer basket in a large saucepan, add 1 inch of water and bring to a boil. Put potatoes in the basket and steam until barely tender when pierced with a skewer, 15 to 20 minutes, depending on size.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallion whites and cook, stirring constantly, until translucent, about 2 minutes. Add peas and water; cook, stirring occasionally, until the peas are just softened, about 3 minutes. Add radishes and butter; cook, stirring, until the radishes are softened, 2 to 3 minutes. Gently stir in the steamed potatoes, herbs, salt and pepper. Serve warm.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Steam the potatoes up to 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate. Bring to room temperature before using.
Per serving: 138 calories; 3 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 25 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 4 g protein; 4 g fiber; 166 mg sodium; 686 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (50% daily value), Potassium (20% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1 1/2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Type of Dish
- Salad, side/appetizer
- May/June 2008