Creamy Pea & Chicken Stew
From EatingWell: January/February 2013
This cheesy, saucy one-pot pea and chicken stew reminds us of the filling in chicken potpie. While it tastes rich and comforting, it has plenty of peas and cauliflower, too, so you get lots of veggies. Serve this creamy healthy pea and chicken stew recipe with biscuits or over brown rice.
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth, divided
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed and cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cups small cauliflower florets
- 1/4 cup finely chopped shallot
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- Whisk 1/2 cup broth, flour and mustard in a small bowl.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper. Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring frequently, until brown and just cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add cauliflower and shallot to the pan and cook, stirring, until the vegetables begin to soften, about 2 minutes. Add peas, wine and the remaining broth (about 1 1/3 cups) and bring to a simmer. Cook, stirring often, until the cauliflower is just tender, about 5 minutes more. Whisk the reserved broth mixture again and add to the pan. Cook, stirring, until the sauce bubbles and thickens, 1 1/2 to 2 minutes. Add cheese, the cooked chicken and any accumulated juice; stir until the cheese is melted.
Per serving: 385 calories; 16 g fat (6 g sat, 6 g mono); 92 mg cholesterol; 18 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 38 g protein; 5 g fiber; 638 mg sodium; 561 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (75% daily value), Vitamin A (36% dv), Calcium (32% dv), Folate (22% dv), Zinc (18% dv), Magnesium & Potassium (16% dv), Iron (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 1 high-fat meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Type of Dish
- Main dish, poultry
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 2013