PBT (Portobello, Basil & Tomato Sandwich)
If you're itching for a BLT—but not all the fat—smoky grilled portobello mushrooms are a great substitute for bacon. Fresh basil takes the place of the lettuce, adding loads of summer flavor.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 4-ounce portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, torn into shreds (if large)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Stir mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Brush oil over cut sides of mushrooms. Grill or broil the mushroom slices until tender and golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper. Toast bread on the grill or under the broiler. Rub both sides of the bread with the cut sides of the garlic clove.
- Spread half of the mayonnaise mixture over 4 toasted bread slices and arrange basil on top. Top with the grilled mushroom slices and tomato slices; season with pepper. Finish with a dollop of the remaining mayonnaise mixture and cover with the remaining pieces of toast. Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately.
Per serving: 335 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 637 mg sodium; 456 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (40% daily value), Iron, Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 Starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation