PBT (Portobello, Basil & Tomato Sandwich)
If you're itching for a BLT—but not all the fat—smoky grilled portobello mushrooms are a great substitute for bacon. Fresh basil takes the place of the lettuce, adding loads of summer flavor.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 4-ounce portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, torn into shreds (if large)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Stir mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Brush oil over cut sides of mushrooms. Grill or broil the mushroom slices until tender and golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper. Toast bread on the grill or under the broiler. Rub both sides of the bread with the cut sides of the garlic clove.
- Spread half of the mayonnaise mixture over 4 toasted bread slices and arrange basil on top. Top with the grilled mushroom slices and tomato slices; season with pepper. Finish with a dollop of the remaining mayonnaise mixture and cover with the remaining pieces of toast. Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately.
Per serving: 335 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 637 mg sodium; 456 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (40% daily value), Iron, Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 Starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less