PBT (Portobello, Basil & Tomato Sandwich)
If you're itching for a BLT—but not all the fat—smoky grilled portobello mushrooms are a great substitute for bacon. Fresh basil takes the place of the lettuce, adding loads of summer flavor.
- 2 tablespoons low-fat mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons nonfat sour cream, or nonfat plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 4-ounce portobello mushrooms, stems removed, caps sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 clove garlic, halved
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, torn into shreds (if large)
- 2 tomatoes, sliced
- Preheat grill or broiler.
- Stir mayonnaise, sour cream (or yogurt) and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Brush oil over cut sides of mushrooms. Grill or broil the mushroom slices until tender and golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Season with salt and pepper. Toast bread on the grill or under the broiler. Rub both sides of the bread with the cut sides of the garlic clove.
- Spread half of the mayonnaise mixture over 4 toasted bread slices and arrange basil on top. Top with the grilled mushroom slices and tomato slices; season with pepper. Finish with a dollop of the remaining mayonnaise mixture and cover with the remaining pieces of toast. Cut sandwiches in half and serve immediately.
Per serving: 335 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 58 g carbohydrates; 13 g protein; 4 g fiber; 637 mg sodium; 456 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (40% daily value), Iron, Vitamin A & Vitamin C (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 Starch, 1 1/2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Vegetarian, other