Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers & Capers
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Flavored with roasted red peppers, garlic, capers and sharp ricotta salata, this simple pasta is reminiscent of Sicily.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata, or feta cheese
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add roasted red peppers and capers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking water. Drain the pasta and add to the roasted pepper mixture.
- Return pan to the heat, mix in reserved pasta-cooking water and heat through, stirring constantly. Divide pasta between two shallow bowls and sprinkle with ricotta salata (or feta). Serve immediately.
Per serving: 310 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 131 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (78% daily value), Selenium (60% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997