Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers & Capers
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Flavored with roasted red peppers, garlic, capers and sharp ricotta salata, this simple pasta is reminiscent of Sicily.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata, or feta cheese
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add roasted red peppers and capers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking water. Drain the pasta and add to the roasted pepper mixture.
- Return pan to the heat, mix in reserved pasta-cooking water and heat through, stirring constantly. Divide pasta between two shallow bowls and sprinkle with ricotta salata (or feta). Serve immediately.
Per serving: 310 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 131 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (78% daily value), Selenium (60% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
An outstanding salad dressing can take your salad from ho-hum...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Turnips are a root vegetable with purple-white skin and a...
A piping-hot bowl of soup makes a delicious dinner and an...
Instead of ordering takeout tonight, try an easy chicken stir...
Whether you’re eating chickpeas in a salad, pasta dish or...
Pass on store-bought snacks that are loaded with fat and...
Vegetables are one of the healthiest foods you can eat,...
Our healthy low-carb desserts are delicious ways to end your...
Boneless chicken thighs can take plenty of cooking without...Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Who says entertaining has to be reserved for the weekend only...
Peanut butter is a healthy ingredient and more versatile than...
If you’re watching your sodium intake, these low-sodium snack...
When it comes to making healthy slow cooker chicken recipes,...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1997