Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers & Capers
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Flavored with roasted red peppers, garlic, capers and sharp ricotta salata, this simple pasta is reminiscent of Sicily.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata, or feta cheese
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add roasted red peppers and capers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking water. Drain the pasta and add to the roasted pepper mixture.
- Return pan to the heat, mix in reserved pasta-cooking water and heat through, stirring constantly. Divide pasta between two shallow bowls and sprinkle with ricotta salata (or feta). Serve immediately.
Per serving: 310 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 131 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (78% daily value), Selenium (60% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- May/June 1997