Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers & Capers
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Flavored with roasted red peppers, garlic, capers and sharp ricotta salata, this simple pasta is reminiscent of Sicily.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata, or feta cheese
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add roasted red peppers and capers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking water. Drain the pasta and add to the roasted pepper mixture.
- Return pan to the heat, mix in reserved pasta-cooking water and heat through, stirring constantly. Divide pasta between two shallow bowls and sprinkle with ricotta salata (or feta). Serve immediately.
Per serving: 310 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 131 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (78% daily value), Selenium (60% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997