Pasta with Roasted Red Peppers & Capers
From EatingWell: May/June 1997
Flavored with roasted red peppers, garlic, capers and sharp ricotta salata, this simple pasta is reminiscent of Sicily.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti, or linguine
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper, or to taste
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained, rinsed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained and rinsed
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup crumbled ricotta salata, or feta cheese
- Cook pasta in boiling salted water until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Remove from heat and add roasted red peppers and capers. Season with salt and pepper.
- Reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta-cooking water. Drain the pasta and add to the roasted pepper mixture.
- Return pan to the heat, mix in reserved pasta-cooking water and heat through, stirring constantly. Divide pasta between two shallow bowls and sprinkle with ricotta salata (or feta). Serve immediately.
Per serving: 310 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 12 g protein; 7 g fiber; 561 mg sodium; 131 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (78% daily value), Selenium (60% dv), Magnesium (21% dv), Vitamin A (20% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 2 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 1997