Pasta with Parsley-Walnut Pesto
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Remaking this classic high-calorie, high-fat pasta sauce was a great success. By adding fresh breadcrumbs to the pesto, we were able to use much less oil. The pesto still coats the pasta nicely and its herbal flavor remains intense and vibrant. Parsley is more than just a garnish—it's a rich source of carotenoids and vitamin C.
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 slices whole-wheat country bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or penne
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Toast walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Tear bread into large pieces and pulse in a food processor to form fine crumbs. Add parsley, garlic and the walnuts and pulse until finely chopped, scraping down the sides as needed. Add yogurt and oil; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and place in a warmed large shallow bowl. Toss with pesto until well coated. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Per serving: 439 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 9 g fiber; 246 mg sodium; 105 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (36% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)