Pasta with Parsley-Walnut Pesto
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Remaking this classic high-calorie, high-fat pasta sauce was a great success. By adding fresh breadcrumbs to the pesto, we were able to use much less oil. The pesto still coats the pasta nicely and its herbal flavor remains intense and vibrant. Parsley is more than just a garnish—it's a rich source of carotenoids and vitamin C.
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 slices whole-wheat country bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or penne
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Toast walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Tear bread into large pieces and pulse in a food processor to form fine crumbs. Add parsley, garlic and the walnuts and pulse until finely chopped, scraping down the sides as needed. Add yogurt and oil; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and place in a warmed large shallow bowl. Toss with pesto until well coated. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Per serving: 439 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 9 g fiber; 246 mg sodium; 105 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (36% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you’re planning a holiday party this year, make...Celebrate the new year with EatingWell’s best healthy recipes!...
Eating a meatless dinner on Thanksgiving opens up a world of...Find inspiration for healthy holiday dining and entertaining...
Oatmeal is an ideal breakfast for cooler months and is arguably...
Try one of these 5-minute, healthy smoothie recipes for a...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Eating too many added sugars may be taking a toll on our...
Indulge in something sweet with our delicious vegan dessert...
Black bean soup and black bean chili are delicious,...
Whether it’s breakfast, lunch or dinner, healthy wrap recipes...
If you’re looking for a budget-friendly option for dinner,...
Pull out your crock pot and make a delicious and hearty slow-...
Packed with iron, dietary fiber and thiamine, oats are a...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)