Pasta with Parsley-Walnut Pesto
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Remaking this classic high-calorie, high-fat pasta sauce was a great success. By adding fresh breadcrumbs to the pesto, we were able to use much less oil. The pesto still coats the pasta nicely and its herbal flavor remains intense and vibrant. Parsley is more than just a garnish—it's a rich source of carotenoids and vitamin C.
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 slices whole-wheat country bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or penne
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Toast walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Tear bread into large pieces and pulse in a food processor to form fine crumbs. Add parsley, garlic and the walnuts and pulse until finely chopped, scraping down the sides as needed. Add yogurt and oil; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and place in a warmed large shallow bowl. Toss with pesto until well coated. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Per serving: 439 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 9 g fiber; 246 mg sodium; 105 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (36% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)