Pasta with Parsley-Walnut Pesto
From EatingWell: The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)
Remaking this classic high-calorie, high-fat pasta sauce was a great success. By adding fresh breadcrumbs to the pesto, we were able to use much less oil. The pesto still coats the pasta nicely and its herbal flavor remains intense and vibrant. Parsley is more than just a garnish—it's a rich source of carotenoids and vitamin C.
- 2 tablespoons walnuts
- 2 slices whole-wheat country bread, crusts trimmed
- 1 cup packed fresh parsley leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil, or extra-virgin olive oil
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces whole-wheat fusilli, or penne
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil. Toast walnuts in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until fragrant, 3 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- Tear bread into large pieces and pulse in a food processor to form fine crumbs. Add parsley, garlic and the walnuts and pulse until finely chopped, scraping down the sides as needed. Add yogurt and oil; process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Cook pasta until just tender, 8 to 10 minutes, or according to package directions. Drain and place in a warmed large shallow bowl. Toss with pesto until well coated. Sprinkle with Parmesan and serve.
Per serving: 439 calories; 10 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 75 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 13 g protein; 9 g fiber; 246 mg sodium; 105 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (35% daily value), Fiber (36% dv), Vitamin A (25% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4 1/2
Exchanges: 5 starch, 2 fat
More From EatingWell
These healthy fruit bars are the perfect snack to put in your...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...This collection of healthy potluck recipes is full of crowd-...These healthy bean salad recipes bring fresh summery life to the...
Brownies and blondies are crowd-pleasing desserts for any...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
A tall glass of iced tea on a hot day is refreshing, and it...
If you’re in a rush and thinking about skipping breakfast,...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Spinach might have made Popeye strong, but what he probably...
There’s no better way to celebrate Mother’s Day than by...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Save your waistline and your wallet with these quick and...
Our breakfast casserole recipes are a satisfying way to start...
We love Mexican meals, but often the differences between...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- The Essential EatingWell Cookbook (2004)