Pasta with Mushroom-Thyme Ragu
From EatingWell: October 1998
Serve with a salad of bitter greens dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini, or small portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juices reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces pasta, such as fettuccine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and release their juices, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover, add wine and cook until reduced to a glaze, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and toss with mushroom sauce. Serve immediately, passing the Parmesan.
Per serving: 420 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 73 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 465 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October 1998
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)