Pasta with Mushroom-Thyme Ragu
From EatingWell: October 1998
Serve with a salad of bitter greens dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini, or small portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juices reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces pasta, such as fettuccine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and release their juices, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover, add wine and cook until reduced to a glaze, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and toss with mushroom sauce. Serve immediately, passing the Parmesan.
Per serving: 420 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 73 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 465 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October 1998