Pasta with Mushroom-Thyme Ragu
From EatingWell: October 1998
Serve with a salad of bitter greens dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini, or small portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juices reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces pasta, such as fettuccine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and release their juices, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover, add wine and cook until reduced to a glaze, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and toss with mushroom sauce. Serve immediately, passing the Parmesan.
Per serving: 420 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 73 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 465 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
- October 1998