Pasta with Mushroom-Thyme Ragu
From EatingWell: October 1998
Serve with a salad of bitter greens dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini, or small portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juices reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces pasta, such as fettuccine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and release their juices, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover, add wine and cook until reduced to a glaze, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and toss with mushroom sauce. Serve immediately, passing the Parmesan.
Per serving: 420 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 73 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 465 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October 1998