Pasta with Mushroom-Thyme Ragu
From EatingWell: October 1998
Serve with a salad of bitter greens dressed with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 8 ounces cremini, or small portobello mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup dry red wine
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, juices reserved
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 12 ounces pasta, such as fettuccine
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 4 to 5 minutes. Add mushrooms, garlic and thyme. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are browned and release their juices, 7 to 8 minutes.
- Uncover, add wine and cook until reduced to a glaze, 4 to 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and their juices. Adjust heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until thickened, 10 to 15 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta until al dente, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and toss with mushroom sauce. Serve immediately, passing the Parmesan.
Per serving: 420 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 3 g mono); 4 mg cholesterol; 73 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 16 g protein; 4 g fiber; 159 mg sodium; 465 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (23% daily value), Iron (20% dv), Fiber (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 vegetables, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
Don’t be fooled: granola sounds healthy, but it's often high...
Using healthy ingredients such as nuts, dried fruit and whole...
Summer's bounty of fresh berries invites creativity. From...
Fiber-rich okra is delicious, whether pickled, roasted or...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
If you’re following the Paleo Diet then you know that you...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- October 1998