Pasta with Eggplant Ragu
Earthy eggplant teams up with jarred marinara sauce and bell peppers for a simple pasta sauce. Make it a meal: To round out the meal, just add a green salad and some good crusty bread.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 eggplant, (1-1 1/4 pounds), diced
- Salt & freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 2 cups prepared marinara sauce
- 1 yellow or red bell pepper, diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 12 ounces pasta, preferably penne
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese, or 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Put a large pot of salted water on to boil.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook, stirring, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add eggplant and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes more. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in marinara sauce and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until eggplant is almost tender, about 20 minutes. Add bell pepper and basil; cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in boiling water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and toss with sauce. Sprinkle with feta (or Parmesan) and serve.
Per serving: 325 calories; 8 g fat (3 g sat, 2 g mono); 11 mg cholesterol; 57 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 10 g protein; 10 g fiber; 524 mg sodium; 219 mg potassium.
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Ease of Preparation
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)