Pasta with Creamy Mushroom-Pea Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Peas combine deliciously with wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, but they are hard to come by this early in the season. You can still get the depth of flavor from more available creminis.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as fusilli or rotini
- 3 cups shelled English peas, (4 1/2 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups quartered cremini, or sliced chanterelle mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Lots of freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and peas; cook until the pasta is tender and the peas are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook prosciutto, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms; stir to coat. Add wine and let simmer for 1 minute. Add broth, return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and pepper.
- Drain the peas and pasta; return to the pan, add the mushroom sauce and toss to coat.
Per serving: 432 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 12 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meal, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Our easy holiday appetizer recipes are great for a holiday...
Citrus fruit, such as grapefruit, lemons, limes and oranges,...
Kale and other dark leafy greens are a flavorful, vitamin-...
Making a quick and healthy dinner when you really pressed for...
A piping hot bowl of soup is the ultimate comfort food during...
Decadent cream-based soups are typically loaded with...
Enjoy seasonal fresh fruit even in winter with these healthy...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
Save money on food during the holiday season but still eat...
Pasta is a favorite comfort food—it’s quick, easy to cook and...
Picture this: You arrive home tired and frazzled, and the...
Our gluten-free cookie recipes are a healthy and delicious...
Whether you’re making Christmas cookies for your annual...
End your holiday meal on a sweet note with our healthy...
Spend more time with friends and family and less time in the...
Our festive holiday cocktails, including healthy recipes for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007