Pasta with Creamy Mushroom-Pea Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Peas combine deliciously with wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, but they are hard to come by this early in the season. You can still get the depth of flavor from more available creminis.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as fusilli or rotini
- 3 cups shelled English peas, (4 1/2 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups quartered cremini, or sliced chanterelle mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Lots of freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and peas; cook until the pasta is tender and the peas are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook prosciutto, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms; stir to coat. Add wine and let simmer for 1 minute. Add broth, return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and pepper.
- Drain the peas and pasta; return to the pan, add the mushroom sauce and toss to coat.
Per serving: 432 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 12 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meal, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
On a weekend morning, there’s nothing better than a hot stack...
Skip the store-bought candies and make your own! Try our...
Whether you’re vegan or entertaining a vegan guest for...
Thanksgiving dinner isn’t complete without an apple pie or...
The season of decorative holiday cookies is one of the most...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Sweet potato casserole is a traditional Thanksgiving side...
Chicken is always a favorite for anyone looking for a protein...
The tartness of fresh cranberries is a flavorful addition to...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
A piping-hot bowl of soup is a satisfying meal for a cozy...
Our healthy carrot recipes will help you get your fill of...
In just 10 minutes, make a delicious Thanksgiving appetizer...
Don't let muffins fool you: they may sound healthy, but many...
When it’s chilly outside, there’s no better way to warm up...
Wake up with these delicious and healthy recipes for homemade...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007