Pasta with Creamy Mushroom-Pea Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Peas combine deliciously with wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, but they are hard to come by this early in the season. You can still get the depth of flavor from more available creminis.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as fusilli or rotini
- 3 cups shelled English peas, (4 1/2 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups quartered cremini, or sliced chanterelle mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Lots of freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and peas; cook until the pasta is tender and the peas are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook prosciutto, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms; stir to coat. Add wine and let simmer for 1 minute. Add broth, return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and pepper.
- Drain the peas and pasta; return to the pan, add the mushroom sauce and toss to coat.
Per serving: 432 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 12 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meal, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007