Pasta with Creamy Mushroom-Pea Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Peas combine deliciously with wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, but they are hard to come by this early in the season. You can still get the depth of flavor from more available creminis.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as fusilli or rotini
- 3 cups shelled English peas, (4 1/2 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups quartered cremini, or sliced chanterelle mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Lots of freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and peas; cook until the pasta is tender and the peas are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook prosciutto, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms; stir to coat. Add wine and let simmer for 1 minute. Add broth, return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and pepper.
- Drain the peas and pasta; return to the pan, add the mushroom sauce and toss to coat.
Per serving: 432 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 12 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meal, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007