Pasta with Creamy Mushroom-Pea Sauce
From EatingWell: May/June 2007
Peas combine deliciously with wild mushrooms, such as chanterelles, but they are hard to come by this early in the season. You can still get the depth of flavor from more available creminis.
- 8 ounces whole-wheat pasta, such as fusilli or rotini
- 3 cups shelled English peas, (4 1/2 pounds unshelled) or frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 ounces sliced prosciutto, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups quartered cremini, or sliced chanterelle mushrooms (about 6 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- Lots of freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add pasta and peas; cook until the pasta is tender and the peas are cooked through, 10 to 12 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook prosciutto, stirring, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, 30 seconds. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring, until they release their juices and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms; stir to coat. Add wine and let simmer for 1 minute. Add broth, return to a simmer and cook, stirring, until slightly thickened, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in cream and pepper.
- Drain the peas and pasta; return to the pan, add the mushroom sauce and toss to coat.
Per serving: 432 calories; 9 g fat (4 g sat, 2 g mono); 29 mg cholesterol; 65 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 12 g fiber; 520 mg sodium; 578 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin A (50% daily value), Iron & Vitamin C (20% dv), Folate (19% dv), Potassium (16% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1/2 lean meal, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 1 hour or less
- Preparation/ Technique
- May/June 2007