Pasta with Braised Radicchio
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Radicchio's main flavor characteristic is bitterness. Here, braised in a garlicky, prosciutto-enriched broth, the ruby-colored green's powerful bite melts to a mellow meatiness.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 2 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- 2 large heads radicchio, cored and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine or spaghetti
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for cooking pasta. Place a pasta-serving bowl and 4 individual pasta bowls in a warm oven.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, until tender and fragrant but not brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add radicchio, increase heat to medium and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until radicchio is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in the warm serving bowl. Add sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan; toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately, passing remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
Per serving: 362 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 10 g fiber; 497 mg sodium; 378 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (80% daily value), Magnesium (29% dv), Folate (21% dv), Iron (18% dv), Folate & Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Everyday favorites
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1997