Pasta with Braised Radicchio
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Radicchio's main flavor characteristic is bitterness. Here, braised in a garlicky, prosciutto-enriched broth, the ruby-colored green's powerful bite melts to a mellow meatiness.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 2 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- 2 large heads radicchio, cored and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine or spaghetti
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for cooking pasta. Place a pasta-serving bowl and 4 individual pasta bowls in a warm oven.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, until tender and fragrant but not brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add radicchio, increase heat to medium and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until radicchio is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in the warm serving bowl. Add sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan; toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately, passing remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
Per serving: 362 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 10 g fiber; 497 mg sodium; 378 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (80% daily value), Magnesium (29% dv), Folate (21% dv), Iron (18% dv), Folate & Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
If you’re watching what you eat, you may be trying to eat...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Everyday favorites
- Ease of Preparation
- March/April 1997