Pasta with Braised Radicchio
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Radicchio's main flavor characteristic is bitterness. Here, braised in a garlicky, prosciutto-enriched broth, the ruby-colored green's powerful bite melts to a mellow meatiness.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 2 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- 2 large heads radicchio, cored and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine or spaghetti
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for cooking pasta. Place a pasta-serving bowl and 4 individual pasta bowls in a warm oven.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, until tender and fragrant but not brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add radicchio, increase heat to medium and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until radicchio is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in the warm serving bowl. Add sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan; toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately, passing remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
Per serving: 362 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 10 g fiber; 497 mg sodium; 378 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (80% daily value), Magnesium (29% dv), Folate (21% dv), Iron (18% dv), Folate & Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Everyday favorites
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- March/April 1997