Pasta with Braised Radicchio
From EatingWell: March/April 1997
Radicchio's main flavor characteristic is bitterness. Here, braised in a garlicky, prosciutto-enriched broth, the ruby-colored green's powerful bite melts to a mellow meatiness.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, slivered
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 2 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto, cut into 2 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
- 2 large heads radicchio, cored and sliced
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 14-ounce can reduced-sodium chicken broth
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound whole-wheat linguine or spaghetti
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for cooking pasta. Place a pasta-serving bowl and 4 individual pasta bowls in a warm oven.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add garlic and crushed red pepper. Cook, stirring, until tender and fragrant but not brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Add prosciutto and cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 2 to 3 minutes. Add radicchio, increase heat to medium and cook, turning with tongs, until wilted, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
- Pour in broth and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, until radicchio is tender, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in a pot of boiling salted water until al dente, 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place in the warm serving bowl. Add sauce and 1/4 cup Parmesan; toss to coat. Taste and adjust seasonings. Serve immediately, passing remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan separately.
Per serving: 362 calories; 7 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 15 mg cholesterol; 61 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 19 g protein; 10 g fiber; 497 mg sodium; 378 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (80% daily value), Magnesium (29% dv), Folate (21% dv), Iron (18% dv), Folate & Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 4 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Everyday favorites
- March/April 1997