Pasta, Tuna & Roasted Pepper Salad
The secret to this delicious pasta salad is a creamy low-fat dressing made with bottled roasted red peppers. If you have cooked chicken on hand, you can substitute it for the tuna.
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained (see Note)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (2/3 cup), divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion or scallions
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, coarsely chopped if large
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces whole-wheat penne or rigatoni, (1 3/4 cups)
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
- Combine tuna, 1/3 cup red peppers, onion (or scallions) and capers in a large bowl.
- Combine yogurt, basil, oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and the remaining 1/3 cup red peppers in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Cook pasta until just tender, 10 to 14 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Add to the tuna mixture along with the red pepper sauce; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 270 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 539 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Fiber (23% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient