Pasta, Tuna & Roasted Pepper Salad
The secret to this delicious pasta salad is a creamy low-fat dressing made with bottled roasted red peppers. If you have cooked chicken on hand, you can substitute it for the tuna.
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained (see Note)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (2/3 cup), divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion or scallions
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, coarsely chopped if large
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces whole-wheat penne or rigatoni, (1 3/4 cups)
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
- Combine tuna, 1/3 cup red peppers, onion (or scallions) and capers in a large bowl.
- Combine yogurt, basil, oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and the remaining 1/3 cup red peppers in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Cook pasta until just tender, 10 to 14 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Add to the tuna mixture along with the red pepper sauce; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 270 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 539 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Fiber (23% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient