Pasta, Tuna & Roasted Pepper Salad
The secret to this delicious pasta salad is a creamy low-fat dressing made with bottled roasted red peppers. If you have cooked chicken on hand, you can substitute it for the tuna.
- 1 6-ounce can chunk light tuna in water, drained (see Note)
- 1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, rinsed and sliced (2/3 cup), divided
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion or scallions
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed, coarsely chopped if large
- 2 tablespoons nonfat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 small clove garlic, crushed and peeled
- 1/8 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces whole-wheat penne or rigatoni, (1 3/4 cups)
- Put a large pot of lightly salted water on to boil.
- Combine tuna, 1/3 cup red peppers, onion (or scallions) and capers in a large bowl.
- Combine yogurt, basil, oil, lemon juice, garlic, salt, pepper and the remaining 1/3 cup red peppers in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Cook pasta until just tender, 10 to 14 minutes or according to package directions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Add to the tuna mixture along with the red pepper sauce; toss to coat.
Tips & Notes
- Note: Chunk light tuna, which comes from the smaller skipjack or yellowfin, has less mercury than canned white albacore tuna. The FDA/EPA advises that women who are or might become pregnant, nursing mothers and young children consume no more than 6 ounces of albacore a week; up to 12 ounces of canned light tuna is considered safe.
Per serving: 270 calories; 5 g fat (1 g sat, 3 g mono); 13 mg cholesterol; 39 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 18 g protein; 6 g fiber; 539 mg sodium; 234 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Fiber (23% dv), Magnesium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 very lean meat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient