Pasta & Chickpea Soup (Pasta e ceci)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
This thick soup is full of chickpeas, tomatoes, fresh rosemary and pasta. Convenient pantry items makes it the perfect solution for harried weeknights.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, or 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried
- 2 15-ounce cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 19-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, divided
- 6 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni, or cavatappi
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and rosemary; simmer for 5 minutes, crushing tomatoes with a fork or potato masher. Pour in broth and water; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, mash 1 cup chickpeas in a small bowl with a fork or potato masher. Stir the mashed chickpeas, pasta and pepper into the tomato-broth mixture. Simmer, uncovered, until the pasta is tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Stir in the remaining whole chickpeas and heat through. If using fresh rosemary, remove the sprig. Serve the soup with a sprinkling of grated cheese.
Per serving: 319 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 10 g fiber; 394 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Iron (18% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Selenium (35% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- January/February 1994