Pasta & Chickpea Soup (Pasta e ceci)
From EatingWell: January/February 1994
This thick soup is full of chickpeas, tomatoes, fresh rosemary and pasta. Convenient pantry items makes it the perfect solution for harried weeknights.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 14-ounce can plum tomatoes, drained
- 1 large sprig fresh rosemary, or 1 1/2 teaspoons crushed dried
- 2 15-ounce cans reduced-sodium beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 2 19-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed, divided
- 6 ounces whole-wheat elbow macaroni, or cavatappi
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/3 cup grated Pecorino Romano, or Parmesan cheese
- Heat oil in a large pot over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until golden, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes and rosemary; simmer for 5 minutes, crushing tomatoes with a fork or potato masher. Pour in broth and water; bring to a simmer over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, mash 1 cup chickpeas in a small bowl with a fork or potato masher. Stir the mashed chickpeas, pasta and pepper into the tomato-broth mixture. Simmer, uncovered, until the pasta is tender, 8 to 10 minutes or according to package directions. Stir in the remaining whole chickpeas and heat through. If using fresh rosemary, remove the sprig. Serve the soup with a sprinkling of grated cheese.
Per serving: 319 calories; 6 g fat (2 g sat, 2 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 53 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 15 g protein; 10 g fiber; 394 mg sodium; 412 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (26% daily value), Iron (18% dv), Magnesium (20% dv), Selenium (35% dv), Zinc (15% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 1/2 starch, 1 lean meat
More From EatingWell
Make cooking Thanksgiving dinner easier with these simple...
If hungry guests are on their way for Thanksgiving dinner,...
These healthy, flavorful Thanksgiving side dishes are...
Use wild rice in a variety of healthy side dishes, including...
One of the most iconic fall vegetables, squash is a versatile...
Sauces and relishes provide the sweet or savory flavor...
Tender, sweet and just a little nutty, Brussels sprouts add a...
Apple pie is a favorite fall dessert and pumpkin pie is an...
There's nothing more enticing than walking into the kitchen...
If you have celiac disease or are sensitive to gluten, there...
Serve one of these healthy vegetarian main dishes, and you're...
The holiday season is the perfect time to use fresh...
Winter salads can taste like a refreshing start to those...
If you’re looking for a quick and easy appetizer to make for...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Take the stress out of Thanksgiving with these easy, healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 30 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1994