Pasta & Beans
A healthful combination of beans and greens makes this pasta dish evocative of the Italian countryside. By dropping the greens in the boiling water with the pasta, you've eliminated an extra step, and an extra pot to wash.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces orecchiette, radiatore or other short pasta
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, stem ends trimmed, rinsed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not colored, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, oregano and crushed red pepper; cover and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to break down and release their juices, 5 to 10 minutes. Add beans, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water for 4 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and cook until the pasta is just tender and the broccoli rabe is tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta and broccoli rabe and place in a large bowl. Add the tomato mixture and the reserved cooking liquid; toss to coat. The dish should be slightly soupy. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Per serving: 443 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 8 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 617 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (160% dv), Folate (31% dv), Iron (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique