Pasta & Beans
A healthful combination of beans and greens makes this pasta dish evocative of the Italian countryside. By dropping the greens in the boiling water with the pasta, you've eliminated an extra step, and an extra pot to wash.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces orecchiette, radiatore or other short pasta
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, stem ends trimmed, rinsed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not colored, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, oregano and crushed red pepper; cover and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to break down and release their juices, 5 to 10 minutes. Add beans, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water for 4 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and cook until the pasta is just tender and the broccoli rabe is tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta and broccoli rabe and place in a large bowl. Add the tomato mixture and the reserved cooking liquid; toss to coat. The dish should be slightly soupy. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Per serving: 443 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 8 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 617 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (160% dv), Folate (31% dv), Iron (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique