Pasta & Beans
A healthful combination of beans and greens makes this pasta dish evocative of the Italian countryside. By dropping the greens in the boiling water with the pasta, you've eliminated an extra step, and an extra pot to wash.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces orecchiette, radiatore or other short pasta
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, stem ends trimmed, rinsed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not colored, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, oregano and crushed red pepper; cover and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to break down and release their juices, 5 to 10 minutes. Add beans, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water for 4 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and cook until the pasta is just tender and the broccoli rabe is tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta and broccoli rabe and place in a large bowl. Add the tomato mixture and the reserved cooking liquid; toss to coat. The dish should be slightly soupy. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Per serving: 443 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 8 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 617 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (160% dv), Folate (31% dv), Iron (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique