Pasta & Beans
A healthful combination of beans and greens makes this pasta dish evocative of the Italian countryside. By dropping the greens in the boiling water with the pasta, you've eliminated an extra step, and an extra pot to wash.
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4-5 medium plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- Pinch of crushed red pepper
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, rinsed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, or to taste
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- 8 ounces orecchiette, radiatore or other short pasta
- 1 pound broccoli rabe, stem ends trimmed, rinsed and cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino Romano cheese
- Put a large pot of water on to boil for cooking pasta.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant but not colored, about 1 minute. Add tomatoes, oregano and crushed red pepper; cover and increase heat to medium. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes start to break down and release their juices, 5 to 10 minutes. Add beans, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, until heated through. Season with salt and pepper.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta in the boiling water for 4 minutes. Add broccoli rabe and cook until the pasta is just tender and the broccoli rabe is tender, 4 to 5 minutes more. Reserving 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid, drain the pasta and broccoli rabe and place in a large bowl. Add the tomato mixture and the reserved cooking liquid; toss to coat. The dish should be slightly soupy. Sprinkle each serving with cheese.
Per serving: 443 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 9 g mono); 5 mg cholesterol; 67 g carbohydrates; 20 g protein; 8 g fiber; 667 mg sodium; 617 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (190% daily value), Vitamin A (160% dv), Folate (31% dv), Iron (30% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 4
Exchanges: 4 starch, 2 1/2 vegetable, 3 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- Main Ingredient
- Preparation/ Technique