Parsnip, Prune & Caramelized Onion Gratin
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Sweet prunes and caramelized onions pair with earthy parsnips in this delicious gratin. Make it a meal: Serve with Roasted Pork Tenderloin and Creamed Spinach.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup prunes, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 parsnips (about 1 1/2 pounds total), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in prunes, thyme, salt and pepper; remove from the heat.
- Spread half the parsnips in the prepared dish. Cover with the onions and prunes. Top with the remaining parsnips and pour in broth. Tightly cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the parsnips are very tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven. Set the oven to broil. Uncover the dish and baste the top with juices. Broil until the top begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 168 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 9 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 652 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Folate & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- January/February 1996