Parsnip, Prune & Caramelized Onion Gratin
From EatingWell: January/February 1996
Sweet prunes and caramelized onions pair with earthy parsnips in this delicious gratin. Make it a meal: Serve with Roasted Pork Tenderloin and Creamed Spinach.
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 onions, thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup prunes, pitted and chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 8 parsnips (about 1 1/2 pounds total), peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook, stirring frequently, until golden and caramelized, 8 to 10 minutes. Stir in prunes, thyme, salt and pepper; remove from the heat.
- Spread half the parsnips in the prepared dish. Cover with the onions and prunes. Top with the remaining parsnips and pour in broth. Tightly cover the dish with aluminum foil and bake until the parsnips are very tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove from the oven. Set the oven to broil. Uncover the dish and baste the top with juices. Broil until the top begins to brown, 3 to 4 minutes.
Per serving: 168 calories; 2 g fat (0 g sat, 1 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 37 g carbohydrates; 3 g protein; 9 g fiber; 238 mg sodium; 652 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value), Folate & Potassium (19% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable
More From EatingWell
Onions are the perfect accompaniment to almost any savory...
Pesto is an easy way to add flavor without tons of extra...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
Coffee is a healthy and flavorful addition to many desserts...
Coconut is a sweet addition to many healthy breakfast recipes...
The health perks of coffee only add to it's appeal for coffee...
If you’re looking for healthier food to enjoy during the...
Lentils are a versatile, budget-friendly and healthy addition...
Pork chops are a versatile and budget-friendly option for...
Apple recipes are a favorite fall fruit, whether you enjoy...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
If you like your food hot—spicy, that is—we've got some...
Mediterranean cuisine is delicious: it’s rich in fruits,...
This Valentine’s Day, stay in with the ones you love and make...
Ring in the Chinese New Year with these healthy Chinese...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, vegetable
- January/February 1996