From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Try these sweet and earthy parsnip muffins next time you're craving the carrot counterpart.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded parsnips, (4 medium)
- 1/2 cup currants, or raisins
- 2 large large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup apple butter, or fruit puree fat replacement
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in parsnips and currants (or raisins). Whisk egg whites, egg, apple butter, oil and vanilla in a smaller bowl. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups; sprinkle muffin tops with nuts. Bake until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- DIY Muffin Cups: Make your next batch of muffins or cupcakes the ultimate grab-and-go treat by lining your tin with muffin liners. No liners? No problem. Use 5-inch squares of parchment paper, coat each muffin cup with cooking spray, and push each square into the cups using a small can or bottle, pressing the paper up the sides. (It’s OK if some of the paper is sticking out over the rim.) Fill each cup as directed.
Per muffin: 210 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 194 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997