From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Try these sweet and earthy parsnip muffins next time you're craving the carrot counterpart.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded parsnips, (4 medium)
- 1/2 cup currants, or raisins
- 2 large large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup apple butter, or fruit puree fat replacement
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in parsnips and currants (or raisins). Whisk egg whites, egg, apple butter, oil and vanilla in a smaller bowl. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups; sprinkle muffin tops with nuts. Bake until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.
Per muffin: 210 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 194 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
Wraps are a delicious and healthy alternative to standard...
From grilled steak to creamy chicken, our quick and healthy...
If you’re trying to cut back on carbs or are following a low-...
Asparagus, rhubarb, peas, artichokes, beets, carrots and more...
Take advantage of all of the spring’s fresh produce with our...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Healthy scones are as easy to make as a quick bread and these...
Turkish, Lebanese and other Middle Eastern flavors star in...The easiest way to make your chicken sing—punch it up with fresh...
Our healthy lemon recipes are bursting with the bright,...
Preventing heart disease through diet is made easier with our...
Instead of going out for date night, stay in and cook a...
One-pot meals are great, but they often serve a crowd. These...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997