From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Try these sweet and earthy parsnip muffins next time you're craving the carrot counterpart.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded parsnips, (4 medium)
- 1/2 cup currants, or raisins
- 2 large large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup apple butter, or fruit puree fat replacement
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in parsnips and currants (or raisins). Whisk egg whites, egg, apple butter, oil and vanilla in a smaller bowl. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups; sprinkle muffin tops with nuts. Bake until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.
Per muffin: 210 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 194 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- January/February 1997