From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Try these sweet and earthy parsnip muffins next time you're craving the carrot counterpart.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded parsnips, (4 medium)
- 1/2 cup currants, or raisins
- 2 large large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup apple butter, or fruit puree fat replacement
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in parsnips and currants (or raisins). Whisk egg whites, egg, apple butter, oil and vanilla in a smaller bowl. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups; sprinkle muffin tops with nuts. Bake until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.
Per muffin: 210 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 194 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- January/February 1997