From EatingWell: January/February 1997
Try these sweet and earthy parsnip muffins next time you're craving the carrot counterpart.
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups shredded parsnips, (4 medium)
- 1/2 cup currants, or raisins
- 2 large large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup apple butter, or fruit puree fat replacement
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped walnuts, or pecans
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Whisk all-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in parsnips and currants (or raisins). Whisk egg whites, egg, apple butter, oil and vanilla in a smaller bowl. Stir into dry ingredients just until moistened.
- Spoon batter into prepared muffin cups; sprinkle muffin tops with nuts. Bake until tops spring back when lightly pressed, about 20 minutes.
Per muffin: 210 calories; 4 g fat (0 g sat, 2 g mono); 18 mg cholesterol; 40 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 268 mg sodium; 194 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Selenium (17% daily value).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3 1/2
Exchanges: 3 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
When you need a little pick-me up, skip the sugar-laden energy...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Sunscreen helps keep your skin healthy and beautiful,...
Baked potatoes are the perfect accompaniment to your favorite...
These quick dinner recipes are tastier, healthier versions of...
A great salad deserves a great dressing. So we've created...
These delicious slim-down dinners all clock in at just 400...
Spaghetti squash is the ultimate pasta impostor: it is a...
These spicy recipes are packed with flavor and metabolism-...
The DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension) may...
Weeknight meals are made easy with these 20-minute, low-...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
When you surround yourself with healthy and delicious food,...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
- Type of Dish
- Baked Goods, quick breads & muffins
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- January/February 1997