I made a vegan version using So Delicious coconut milk yogurt and Zen Budda buttery spread (the much more widely available Earth Balance would do, also). The yogurt really imparts a nice creaminess and flavor. But the whole ensemble works great.
Parsley Smashed New Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Freshly dug, true “new” potatoes are so creamy and flavorful they hardly need any additional ingredients to make them spectacular. Here we tumble them with a bit of butter, tangy yogurt, scallions and just-chopped fresh parsley. If new potatoes are not available, use any small red potatoes.
7 Reviews for Parsley Smashed New Potatoes
I made this dish for Thanksgiving this year, due to it being part of Eating Well's Thanksgiving 'sideshow.' The only change I made was to use Greek low-fat yogurt instead of regular (perhaps the reason for the extra tang?) and I used my Smart Balance butter spread instead of butter. To me, this dish reminded me of sour cream and onion flavor (thoughI don't even like sour cream). Overall, a tangy, zesty, wake-up for those overloaded Thanksgiving tastebuds.
Though not tasting exactly like your standard rich mashed potatoes, these are definitely worthy of a place in my recipe box. This is a great way to update and put a fresh twist on mashed potatoes; they really have a "zing" to them, and are big on flavor! Tastes like Spring; yum!
I made a 5 pound batch with red potatoes for Thanksgiving. I also added fresh minced garlic. YUM! They turned out great! I did not even miss all the fattening butter and 2% milk I normally would have dumped in potatoes.
Excellent recipe. The only thing I would do is to add some bacon bits-- what can I say, it's a guy thing!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)