Parsley Smashed New Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Freshly dug, true “new” potatoes are so creamy and flavorful they hardly need any additional ingredients to make them spectacular. Here we tumble them with a bit of butter, tangy yogurt, scallions and just-chopped fresh parsley. If new potatoes are not available, use any small red potatoes.
- 2 pounds new or baby red potatoes, (1- to 2-inch diameter), large ones quartered
- 2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 scallions, cut in half lengthwise and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- White or freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and steam until very tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes. (Check the water level near the end of steaming to be sure the pan doesn’t boil dry. Add more boiling water as needed.)
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, scallions, parsley, butter, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix the cooked potatoes into the yogurt mixture, breaking them up with a fork until they crumble apart and lightly clump together.
Per serving: 159 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 779 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
Ready in 30 minutes or less, these healthy spring recipes are...
Whether you’re making soup for an appetizer or a main-course...
Few things are more satisfying on a chilly night than a...
Asparagus is high in folic acid and is a good source of...
Comfort foods are notoriously high in calories and saturated...
Entertaining is made easy with these delicious brunch recipes...
Spend less time in the kitchen; plug in your crock pot! Slow...
Healthy dinners that fit in one bowl are quick and convenient...
There's nothing better than a quick, easy and affordable...
Our low-calorie comfort food recipes are soothing, comforting...
Your slow cooker is the perfect tool to prepare an easy meal...
If you’re hoping to get a better night’s sleep, try adding...
Everyone is Irish on St. Patrick’s Day! Celebrate this year...
If planning out quick and healthy meals for your family is a...
Adding lean protein, such as chicken, turkey, lean beef, low-...
Canned tuna is a quick, healthy and delicious option for...
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- July/August 2009