Parsley Smashed New Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Freshly dug, true “new” potatoes are so creamy and flavorful they hardly need any additional ingredients to make them spectacular. Here we tumble them with a bit of butter, tangy yogurt, scallions and just-chopped fresh parsley. If new potatoes are not available, use any small red potatoes.
- 2 pounds new or baby red potatoes, (1- to 2-inch diameter), large ones quartered
- 2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 scallions, cut in half lengthwise and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- White or freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and steam until very tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes. (Check the water level near the end of steaming to be sure the pan doesn’t boil dry. Add more boiling water as needed.)
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, scallions, parsley, butter, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix the cooked potatoes into the yogurt mixture, breaking them up with a fork until they crumble apart and lightly clump together.
Per serving: 159 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 779 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
Eating meatless at least once a week has a host of health...
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
These healthy vegan recipes take you on a virtual trip around...
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Ease of Preparation
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009