Parsley Smashed New Potatoes
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
Freshly dug, true “new” potatoes are so creamy and flavorful they hardly need any additional ingredients to make them spectacular. Here we tumble them with a bit of butter, tangy yogurt, scallions and just-chopped fresh parsley. If new potatoes are not available, use any small red potatoes.
- 2 pounds new or baby red potatoes, (1- to 2-inch diameter), large ones quartered
- 2/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 scallions, cut in half lengthwise and finely chopped
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- White or freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring 1 inch of water to a boil in a large saucepan fitted with a steamer basket. Add potatoes, cover and steam until very tender when pierced with a fork, 20 to 25 minutes. (Check the water level near the end of steaming to be sure the pan doesn’t boil dry. Add more boiling water as needed.)
- Meanwhile, combine yogurt, scallions, parsley, butter, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Mix the cooked potatoes into the yogurt mixture, breaking them up with a fork until they crumble apart and lightly clump together.
Per serving: 159 calories; 4 g fat (3 g sat, 0 g mono); 12 mg cholesterol; 27 g carbohydrates; 4 g protein; 3 g fiber; 321 mg sodium; 779 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (30% daily value), Potassium (22% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 2
Exchanges: 1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
More From EatingWell
If you work out in the morning, refuel with one of these...
Our healthy Labor Day recipes are a delicious way to...
One-pot recipes are the perfect solution for easy weeknight...
Our healthy stir-fry recipes are full of fiber-rich...
Packed with a bounty of nutrients as well as fiber, green...
Store-bought packaged foods can make cooking or baking easier...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
Whether you’re roasting beets, serving them sliced on a salad...
Celebrate summer with our summer dessert recipes made with...In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
- Ease of Preparation
- Type of Dish
- Side dish, potato/starch
- Preparation/ Technique
- July/August 2009