Parsley & Lemon Spaetzle
From EatingWell: January/February 1995
Although making homemade spaetzle may sound intimidating, it's actually quick and easy to make. Although a special gadget called a spaetzle maker works best, you can press the dough through the holes in a colander. Make it a meal: Echo the lemon flavor and serve with Herb & Lemon Roast Chicken.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Freshly grated zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4-1 cup low-fat milk, divided
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Fill a large pot two-thirds full with lightly salted water and bring to a boil.
- Combine flour, lemon zest, baking powder and salt in a large bowl. Whisk together 3/4 cup milk, whole egg and egg white in a large measuring cup. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and pour in enough of the egg mixture, stirring with a whisk or fork, to make a smooth batter. (It will resemble thick pancake batter. Add more milk if necessary.)
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Cook, swirling occasionally, until the butter turns a light nutty brown, 30 to 60 seconds. Immediately remove from the heat, stir in lemon juice and set aside.
- Lightly oil a spaetzle maker or a colander or coat with cooking spray. Place the spaetzle maker (or colander) over the boiling water. Scrape one-third of the batter into the spaetzle maker (or colander) and force it through the holes. Boil the spaetzle until they float to the top, 1 to 2 minutes. Then, scoop them out of the water with a slotted spoon and place in the skillet with the lemon butter. Repeat with the remaining batter.
- Add parsley and toss the spaetzle in the lemon butter over medium heat until heated through. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4. Lift the dumplings from the boiling water and drop them into a large bowl of cold water. Drain and refrigerate, then reheat in the pan at serving time.
- Although a special gadget called a spaetzle maker works best, you can press the dough through the holes in a colander.
Per serving: 279 calories; 5 g fat (2 g sat, 1 g mono); 60 mg cholesterol; 49 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 2 g fiber; 394 mg sodium; 114 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Folate (48% daily value), Iron (18% dv), Selenium (38% dv).
Carbohydrate Servings: 3
Exchanges: 3 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- January/February 1995
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)