From EatingWell: November/December 1993
These crispy Parmesan nibbles are perfect for entertaining because they can be prepared in advance and stored in tins or frozen.
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14 x 18 inches)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg white, oil, salt and cayenne, if using, in a small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a short side toward you. Keep remaining phyllo sheets covered with plastic wrap or wax paper. With a pastry brush, lightly coat the lower half of the sheet with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with about 2 teaspoons cheese. Fold the upper half over to cover the lower half. Brush the right half of the folded sheet with egg-white mixture, sprinkle with a heaping teaspoon of cheese and fold the left half over the cheese. Brush the bottom half of the folded sheet with the egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cheese and fold the upper half over the lower half. Finally, brush the top with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cheese. Cut into ten 1/2-inch strips using a knife or serrated pastry cutter. With a wide spatula, transfer the strips to the prepared baking sheet, placing them about 1/2 inch apart. Repeat the procedure with the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo, egg-white mixture and cheese.
- Bake the straws until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per straw: 16 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
In celebration of EatingWell's 10th anniversary we picked our...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
Take advantage of summer's bounty of fresh produce with these...
Muffin tins are great for making more than just muffins,...
Use your charcoal grill or gas grill for more than just...
Potato salad is a favorite summer dish, but classic versions...
It’s no wonder that the Mediterranean diet is considered to...
Enjoy the world’s healthiest diet with these delicious...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Berries and fresh summer fruit star in our healthy homemade...
Pork tenderloin is an easy and healthy addition to your...
Our healthy pepper recipes, including recipes for bell...
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
For a quick and healthy dinner, make one of our easy stir-fry...
While nothing quite beats eating quickly boiled or grilled...
From healthy blueberry muffins and blueberry pancakes topped...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- November/December 1993