From EatingWell: November/December 1993
These crispy Parmesan nibbles are perfect for entertaining because they can be prepared in advance and stored in tins or frozen.
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14 x 18 inches)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg white, oil, salt and cayenne, if using, in a small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a short side toward you. Keep remaining phyllo sheets covered with plastic wrap or wax paper. With a pastry brush, lightly coat the lower half of the sheet with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with about 2 teaspoons cheese. Fold the upper half over to cover the lower half. Brush the right half of the folded sheet with egg-white mixture, sprinkle with a heaping teaspoon of cheese and fold the left half over the cheese. Brush the bottom half of the folded sheet with the egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cheese and fold the upper half over the lower half. Finally, brush the top with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cheese. Cut into ten 1/2-inch strips using a knife or serrated pastry cutter. With a wide spatula, transfer the strips to the prepared baking sheet, placing them about 1/2 inch apart. Repeat the procedure with the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo, egg-white mixture and cheese.
- Bake the straws until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per straw: 16 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
If you want to make the spread at your next party look...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you’re looking for a new recipe to make for your Fourth of...
Put a fresh twist on your classic American fare with this...
From grilled chicken recipes to chicken salad recipes, our...
Having a snack attack? Stock your fridge and pantry with...
To round out your summer meal, enjoy one of our healthy...
Enjoy all the fruits and vegetables summer has to offer with...
What's a picnic without coleslaw and a salad? Our healthier...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Beat the heat this summer with these easy recipes for your...
Fire up the grill, pull out the lawn chairs and celebrate...
Whether you’re in the mood for a sweet or salty snack, our...
We know summer can be a busy time of year, but be sure to...
Turmeric most often appears in Indian cuisine, as its flavor...
Cut saturated fat when you bake by swapping some of the...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1993