From EatingWell: November/December 1993
These crispy Parmesan nibbles are perfect for entertaining because they can be prepared in advance and stored in tins or frozen.
- 1 large egg white
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, (optional)
- 6 sheets phyllo dough, (14 x 18 inches)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan or Asiago cheese, divided
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Lightly coat 2 baking sheets with cooking spray or line with parchment paper.
- Whisk together egg white, oil, salt and cayenne, if using, in a small bowl.
- Lay a sheet of phyllo on a work surface with a short side toward you. Keep remaining phyllo sheets covered with plastic wrap or wax paper. With a pastry brush, lightly coat the lower half of the sheet with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with about 2 teaspoons cheese. Fold the upper half over to cover the lower half. Brush the right half of the folded sheet with egg-white mixture, sprinkle with a heaping teaspoon of cheese and fold the left half over the cheese. Brush the bottom half of the folded sheet with the egg-white mixture, sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cheese and fold the upper half over the lower half. Finally, brush the top with the egg-white mixture and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon cheese. Cut into ten 1/2-inch strips using a knife or serrated pastry cutter. With a wide spatula, transfer the strips to the prepared baking sheet, placing them about 1/2 inch apart. Repeat the procedure with the remaining 5 sheets of phyllo, egg-white mixture and cheese.
- Bake the straws until golden and crisp, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 week or freeze for up to 2 months.
Per straw: 16 calories; 1 g fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 1 mg cholesterol; 1 g carbohydrates; 1 g protein; 0 g fiber; 38 mg sodium; 2 mg potassium.
Exchanges: Free Food
More From EatingWell
Omega-3 fats are good for your heart and are found in fish...
These healthy sugar-free dessert recipes are a delicious and...
Stir-fries are an easy way to get dinner on the table fast...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
If you’re trying to slim down, our low-calorie dinners to...
Carbs have gotten a bad rap as a diet no-no, but whole grains...
When you’re trying to lose weight, you don’t need to skimp on...
The next time you’re thinking about ordering takeout, put...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Baking a cake from scratch doesn’t have to be time-intensive...
There’s something oh-so-soothing about a bowl of creamy...
Our nutritionists have verified that these recipes do not...
Homemade desserts, including piping-hot apple pie, rich...
If you’re searching for an affordable and healthy meal for...
Our healthy lasagna recipes, including classic meat lasagna...
Make sure you have a quick and easy dinner ready to go next...
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- Ease of Preparation
- November/December 1993