I love these! I am on a gluten-free, high protein diet, and came across this recipe. I work in an office so its hard to have complete, balanced, AND tasty meals. Here's what I did: instead of one egg, I used three. I did not de-seed or shred the squash, instead i put yellow and green zucchini in my food processor. Then just mixed everything. Cooked them long enough in a pan, to give them a nice crunch, and baked in the oven according to the recipe. DELISH!!! My modified recipe made 6 pancake size squash cakes, so I froze them. When I am ready to eat in the office, take two out (recommend they should be thawed!), place them on a napkin and cover. Cook for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes, or until warm. Such a great meal!! Enjoy!!
From EatingWell: July/August 2009
In this recipe we shred summer squash and use it like shredded potatoes to make tasty little pancakes flavored with Parmesan cheese and shallots.
7 Reviews for Parmesan-Squash Cakes
This is by far one of my favorite Eating Well recipes! It's super delicious and easy to make. It's a great way to use all the summer squash from my garden. Husband and picky kids loved it.
I had a hard time not getting the cakes to stick, so I put a little bit cornmeal on them. Not only did the cakes stay together; but, the corn meal added crunch so I didn't have to fry them so long. I added extra cheese (which was freshly grated--parmesiana regiana) and crushed red pepper.
These were awesome! My 8 yr old even loved them. Even after I squeezed out the moisture, had to get some more of it up with some paper towels but it was worth it. I also used freshly grated parm cheese and scallions since I did not have shallots. Will be making these again for sure!
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)