These were absolutely delicious. I used the ricotta cheese, and made nine instead of eight which ended up being the perfect amount using an average muffin pan. Very much resembles a quiche.
Parmesan Spinach Cakes
From EatingWell: September/October 2008
If you like spinach-cheese pie, try these simple but elegant-looking little spinach cakes.
55 Reviews for Parmesan Spinach Cakes
I used fresh baby spinach and should have squeezed out more water, because after baking they were soggy on the bottom...but still very good. I followed the recipe exactly (except using cottage cheese instead of ricotta--more protein and less carbs this way) and it works out perfectly. I think next time I'll add sun-dried tomatoes.
There is so much you can do with these little morsels. I use non-fat ricotta cheese or cottage cheese and put in chopped water chestnuts and lower fat bacon bits. It makes a delicious lunch along with a fruit salad.
This is a great recipe as-is, but we love it with some feta sprinkled on top in place of the extra parm! It complements the spinach very well.
I tried out this recipe today. My one change was to add 1/8 tsp nutmeg and used low-fat cottage cheese. The spinach cakes turned out very good though a little bland with the cottage cheese. I will make these again in the future but will be sure to use ricotta cheese. Also, the nutmeg was very light in taste and I will probably try 1/4 tsp instead. Also, to add more flavor, increase the garlic to at least 2 cloves. I may add a small shallot also as I like garlic and shallots with wilted spinach.
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)