From EatingWell: December 1997
Parmesan and freshly ground pepper unite in these crisp wafers. Make a couple of batches to serve at your next cocktail party.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or chives
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper or coat them with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk egg whites and oil in a mixing bowl. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Stir in cheese and parsley (or chives).
- Drop batter by scant tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, making 4 wafers per sheet. Spread batter into 4- to 4-1/2-inch circles with a metal spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake wafers, 1 sheet at a time, until entire surface is golden and firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Per wafer: 45 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 23 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
If you're looking for an easy, healthy meal idea for dinner...
Whether you’re celebrating Cinco de Mayo or throwing a...
Few things are closer to perfection than the first sweet...
Trying to clean up your diet? These low-calorie recipes are...
Make your own pickles! Get the most out of summer’s bounty by...
Whether you’re packing a healthy snack for yourself or your...
This Memorial Day, throw a barbecue or picnic with these...
Try making a healthy summer dip recipe or summer salsa recipe...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Whether you're looking for a quick breakfast or a refreshing...
Fresh seasonal produce offers plenty of reasons to try one of...
Barbecue sauce, rubs and marinades are easy, healthy ways to...
Everyone loves a good, juicy burger recipe! But hamburgers...
As delicious as eating healthy can be, we all still crave our...
Whether grilled, seared, broiled, baked or made into burgers...
These easy weeknight suppers are inspired by the bountiful...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997