From EatingWell: December 1997
Parmesan and freshly ground pepper unite in these crisp wafers. Make a couple of batches to serve at your next cocktail party.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 large egg whites
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, or canola oil
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley, or chives
- Preheat oven to 300°F. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper or coat them with cooking spray.
- Whisk flour, salt and pepper in a medium bowl. Whisk egg whites and oil in a mixing bowl. Add flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Stir in cheese and parsley (or chives).
- Drop batter by scant tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, making 4 wafers per sheet. Spread batter into 4- to 4-1/2-inch circles with a metal spatula or the back of a spoon.
- Bake wafers, 1 sheet at a time, until entire surface is golden and firm, 15 to 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and let cool.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Store in an airtight container for up to 4 days.
Per wafer: 45 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 2 g mono); 2 mg cholesterol; 3 g carbohydrates; 2 g protein; 0 g fiber; 158 mg sodium; 23 mg potassium.
Exchanges: 1/2 fat
More From EatingWell
Fresh, sun-ripened tomatoes not only taste wonderful, they...
Add these healthy and delicious recipes to your gluten-free...
When summer tomatoes from backyard gardens and farmstands hit...
When the produce section looks bleak, turn to the freezer....
If you’re craving an easy dessert tonight, we have just what...
The Meatless Monday movement is growing in popularity across...
Potassium plays a vital role in keeping your heart healthy...
Go beyond the gin and tonic this summer and mix up cocktails...
In the hot months of summer, cool down with a refreshing and...
Our nonalcoholic drink recipes, or “mocktails,” are festive...
Kick back and enjoy one of our delicious healthy summer punch...
During the busy workweek, these no-cook dinner recipes are...
Quinoa is a superfood that is packed with fiber and protein...
Fresh leeks are a delicious addition to many recipes. These...
Farmers’ markets and gardens are full of fresh and delicious...
Sardines (Pacific, wild-caught) are one of the healthiest...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- 45 minutes or less
- 8 or more
- Preparation/ Technique
- December 1997