Parmesan Cauliflower Tater Tots
From EatingWell: January/February 2014
Cauliflower stands in for potato in this taterless cauliflower tot recipe. Cauliflower is mashed, then mixed with cheese and given a crispy breadcrumb coating before being baked. These healthy cauliflower tater tots make a delicious side dish, appetizer or movie-night snack. Dip them in regular ketchup or make a spicy dipping sauce: Combine 1/3 cup ketchup with 2 tablespoons sriracha chile sauce and a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 2 pounds), trimmed and broken into small florets
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites, whisked until frothy
- 3/4 cup coarse dry whole-wheat breadcrumbs (panko)
- Canola or olive oil cooking spray
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add cauliflower and boil until tender, 10 to 12 minutes. Drain in a colander, shaking to remove excess water. Return the cauliflower to the pot and dry over medium-low heat, stirring with a wooden spoon, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat. Using a potato masher, mash the cauliflower until it resembles clumpy rice. Transfer to a large bowl to cool, stirring occasionally.
- Stir flour and cheese into the cooled cauliflower. Season with pepper and salt. Stir in egg whites. Line an 8-inch-square baking dish with plastic wrap, allowing the wrap to hang over the edges. Spread the cauliflower mixture into the pan, compacting it into an even layer. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the freezer until very cold, 1 to 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a large baking sheet with cooking spray.
- Spread breadcrumbs on a plate. Gently turn the cauliflower mixture out onto a cutting board, removing the plastic wrap. Cut it into 36 evenly sized pieces. Roll the pieces in the breadcrumbs, turning to coat all sides. Place on the baking sheet, about 1 inch apart.
- Coat the tots with cooking spray. Bake, turning once halfway through, until browned, 35 to 45 minutes.
Tips & Notes
- Make Ahead Tip: Prepare through Step 4, freeze in a single layer, transfer to an airtight container and freeze for up to 3 months. To bake, place frozen tots on a baking sheet, coat with cooking spray and bake at 400°F for 35-45 minutes.
Per serving: 86 calories; 2 g fat (1 g sat, 1 g mono); 3 mg cholesterol; 13 g carbohydrates; 0 g added sugars; 1 g total sugars; 5 g protein; 2 g fiber; 289 mg sodium; 209 mg potassium.
Nutrition Bonus: Vitamin C (47% daily value)
Carbohydrate Servings: 1
Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 vegetable, 1/2 lean meat
More From EatingWell
In the dog days of summer, you don’t have to turn on your stove...Icebox pies are an easy and popular summer dessert, yet they're...Celebrate the season with EatingWell's best recipes from the...
Turkey sausage is a healthy, leaner alternative to...
You won’t waste half a day’s worth—or more—of calories with...
Celebrate summer’s fresh vegetables with our healthy recipes...
Getting your kids to eat healthy on a gluten-free diet can be...Chicken is a great ingredient for building a healthy and...
Gluten-free salads, soups and sides don’t have to be boring....
Healthy and slimming summer dinners shouldn’t be hard to find...
Beat the heat and embrace the flavors of summer with low-...
Our low-calorie pasta salad recipes will be a favorite dish...
Cool down with these healthy, homemade freezer pops. On hot...
If you find yourself short on time this summer, try these...
For a lighter option for dinner tonight, try making a quick...
Whether you’re a vegetarian or just looking to cut back on...
- Ease of Preparation
- Total Time
- More than 1 hour
- January/February 2014
Connect With Us
Poll of the week
- Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans (189 comments)
- Chilaquiles Casserole (103 comments)
- Hamburger Buddy (100 comments)
- Bev's Chocolate Chip Cookies (87 comments)
- Balsamic & Parmesan Roasted Cauliflower (74 comments)
- Easy Salmon Cakes (73 comments)
- Broccoli-Cheese Chowder (72 comments)
- Mini Mushroom-&-Sausage Quiches (63 comments)
- Sauteed Chicken Breasts with Creamy Chive Sauce (58 comments)
- Beef & Bean Chile Verde (52 comments)